Calais 4.0 has arrived!
On the one year anniversary of our debut, we are extremely pleased to announce the debut of Calais 4.0. With more than 9,000 of you processing 1+million documents per day, it was time to take Calais to the next level.
Effective today, Calais 4.0 goes beyond metatagging to help you automatically integrate your content with Linked Data assets from Wikipedia, DBpedia, GeoNames, the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), Shopping.com and more.
It also introduces a global metadata transport layer that makes it easy for you to share rich semantic metadata with such content consumers as search engines, news aggregators, 'related stories' recommendation services, etc. to reach downstream readers.
Calais 4.0 in practice:
- With Calais 4.0, each document - and every significant semantic element within that document - is assigned a unique identifier (a 'uniform resource identifier or URI). These identifiers are returned to the content owner along with the rest of the metadata that Calais discovered.
- Unlike simple "tagging" solutions, the rich semantic metadata Calais returns can be used to enhance publishers' content for improved search, navigation, ad placement and syndication. Each of the semantic elements Calais 4.0 discovers also provides a key to unlocking additional content assets in the Linked Data ecosystem.
- Finally, the unique document and entity identifiers returned by Calais can be shared with content partners and content consumers like search engines, etc. to enable the seamless transfer of not just content, but of the underlying meaning and relevance of that content.
With this release, we are also publishing the Calais schema in RDFS. This will enable you to access a growing toolkit of schema-aware tools to work with Calais' metadata output.
Finally, in keeping with our commitment to 'connect everything,' additional advances in version 4.0 include:
- Entity identification in French; the first step in an aggressive plan to incorporate the world's major languages that will continue throughout 2009.
- Significant enhancements to the semantic metadata generation capabilities in the areas of product identification, competitive intelligence and judicial events.
- Significant enhancements to automated document-level categorization in the areas of recreation, environment, weather and legal.
How to get started:
As is our practice, Calais 4.0 will be in technology preview for a period of two months, so that you can do testing and provide feedback on any issues you may encounter. To get started:
- Use the same Calais API key that you use today when submitting documents to api.opencalais.com
- Use the Web address beta.opencalais.com instead of api.opencalais.com.
- We strongly recommend that you follow the attached RDFS documents when parsing the RDF output files. The RDFS will help resolve any changes in the RDF files.
- After a few weeks of evaluating the R4 Technology Preview, we recommend that you move to R4 production candidate release found at api1.opencalais.com
If you encounter any problems, you can revert back to the Calais 3.1 service by using Web address api.opencalais.com instead of beta.opencalais.com.
Please share your feedback on Calais 4.0 in the R4 forum (adding link this afternoon).
See you in the Linked Data cloud!
-The Calais team
TrackbacksListed below are links to other sites that reference this page.
Trackback URL: http://www.opencalais.com/trackback/13123